Excellence

"High Achievement always takes place in the framework of high expectation." - Charles Kettering



Monday, January 13, 2014

Yeha! First hurdle overcome by pure chance: Pole position on the ballot!

The order of candidates on a ballot sadly makes a difference for the uninformed voters among us. I know all of my readers are not among the uninformed. However, there are many folks who, when faced with a ballot full of folks of whose platforms they have remained ignorant, will simply select the first X number of names that present themselves. That is why clerks completely randomize the process by which the ballot name order is decided. The ECSD person who does this is Kelly Mosher. She places all the names on equally sized slips of paper and has somebody in the district office literally pick them out of a hat. The order in which they are drawn is the order in which they appear on the ballot in the spring. Through complete happenstance, my name is first on the ballot for the spring election. I presume the rest of the list will be publicized on the district website soon, under School Board and Elections.

Since there are only six of us running for four seats, there will be no primary required. That is only invoked if there are more than twice as many candidates running as there are seats available. The primary narrows it down to exactly 2X.  When I won my first seat back in 2007, there were so many people running it required a primary, which necessitated placing signs out in really rotten weather and about 3 feet of snow. I am very glad I don't have to put signs up right now... If you want a sign, just let me know!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy to hear this Melissa!! This is your year!

Chasin.